Ready to Travel

Ready to Travel

Friday, October 12, 2012

Grandpa's Radio

A long, long time ago, in a place called St. Thomas, Cindy and I were small. My maternal grandmother lived with us and she, and my parents, worked shift work at the local hospital so one of them could always be home with us.
My grandma bought my parents the gift of a Grazioso Stereo Console which probably cost her at least a month's salary. She purchased it in 1956 and a couple of months ago it made the journey from my parents' basement in Windsor to my retro family room.
Google is God - through a few enquiries we found George Found (no pun intended) who restores, primarily, the radios in vintage automobiles. He said he could get this console operational and, in fact, he did. It's playing now...am, fm and shortwave. The front door pulls down to reveal a record player that also works. It has a plug in the back for an additional antenna and a remote speaker. It sounds great.
Ah, nostalgia....it's a wonderful thing. Enjoy some photos of George's shop and his amazing collection of vintage radios and other sound equipment.











No comments:

Post a Comment