Ready to Travel

Ready to Travel

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I am in heaven

The thermometer shows the temperature at only 69 degrees but I dragged my rocking chair out to one of the courtyards at this wonderful home.
Sitting in the sun with my pantlegs rolled up I am baking. There is no breeze in this sheltered corner just wonderful, wonderful warm sun and I have to  retreat to shade to cool off from time to time. Mexican music drifts out the front door which I've propped open with a broom. Some mesquite incense burning in the kitchen wafts out and makes me feel like I'm near a wonderful wood-burning kiva fireplace.
The mountains are distant but the air is so clear you can pick out individual trees on the ridgelines. The occasional car or truck drives by but the road is far enough away that no sound of engines reaches me.
Sitting still, watching and listening, I only hear the occasional dog barking far off and a snap, snap, snap.  It could be the resiny, tiny pine cones of the pinon trees all around the property drying in the heat of the sun. It could be the seed heads of the numerous grasses around the courtyard drying and snapping open. It could be the sound of unseen birds cracking something open for lunch. It's nice to not know, just to wonder. The only thing that would make this better is if Kevin was here to share it.
Here's what I see from my rocking chair.





No comments:

Post a Comment