Ready to Travel

Ready to Travel

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Holy Sunday


It's 10:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning. I am sitting in front of the library with the Catholic church half a block down on one side and the Baptist church half a block down on the other side. I can hear organ music and congregational singing from the Baptists. The Catholics are finished for the morning. It is sunny and cool and it's a partial day off for me.
Yesterday we drove over to Maine to pick blueberries. Lee Ann went to move the car and the clutch died so she pushed while Larry "drove" it into a neighbour's driveway. Then we took the 25 year old van ("I don't think it'll pass it's next safety check, Lee Ann") over the border. The international festival between Calais, Maine and St. Stephen, NB was on so there was a little traffic. It was neat to see the parade floats coming through customs! We travelled for about 45 minutes (the van didn't want to go much above 40 miles an hour) and arrived at their friends' property. 50 acres of blueberry fields - organic. This means no weed or bug spraying. We raked berries for about 5 hours and got around 60 pounds. Then we drove over to a nearby lake (one of the Maine Great Ponds) and Larry and Lee Ann swam for a bit. They decided we should go for dinner in Calais - I'm covered in dirt, bug crap, my own blood and blueberry juice. I'm wearing sweatpants and a man's cotton shirt. My hair hasn't been washed for 2 days. And I didn't go swimming. I had packed my cycling pants and my Lands End swim shirt so that's what I wore into the restaurant. The three of us must have scared half the patrons. The rest probably thought we were typical Maine characters.
This afternoon we'll be making blueberry juice and jam. I have been invited out to Minister's Island for a free bbq but spent several hours there last week so have no inclination to go back today. I was hoping to use my host's car to go over to Grand Manan Island but, with the clutch broken there's no way that's happening.
St. Andrew's could use a scooter rental shop!
Departure is Wednesday - I'll try to stay out of trouble till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment