Ready to Travel

Ready to Travel

Friday, August 6, 2010

Hot, hot, hot



Time in New Brunswick is winding down. It's another gorgeous, warm sunny day.
Yesterday my hosts had to go out of town for the day so I volunteered to help an 82 year old Irish woman in town with her garden. She was a sweet, old dear. I was warned that she's the type to get everything she can out of everyone she can, but she does it in a sweet way. One story is she'll hire 3 or 4 teenagers to work for her, then refuse to pay all but one saying that one guys is the foreman is has to share the money. She's scrupulous with her money though - took a 2 month trip to India last year and Russia the year before. She thought it was funny that we both had a brace on our knee - her's from wearing it out on a bicycle!
Then I headed over to a b&b for an "interview". The woman has sold to a family that's converting it back to a family home but she was very candid about the pros and cons of being a b&b owner. She had some tips and tricks and also knew a lot about the town....like who's property should be avoided like the plague "If her guests knew she cleaned the cat litter box in the dishwasher!" Ew, ew, ew. Found her a bit on the strict side, though. Her guests had a curfew of 11pm and she didn't unlock the front door until 7:30 a.m. Kevin would have a hell of a time rapelling down the wall on sheets to get out for his morning bike ride and photo session! Would have made a hell of a photo op, though. I asked her how the townies felt about people from out of province. She laughed and told me that every house within half a mile of her place was owned by people from Ontario, Quebec or the States.
Spent some time in the library using the internet. Today it is closed "due to circumstances beyond our control". Probably the main overhead light bulb burnt out. I'm in Honeybeans Coffee shop sipping my iced latte and watching the tourists go by. I've been here long enough not to be one, right?
Howard has been texting Kevin. He's in the Lunenburg/Halifax area as of yesterday and having a blast. Tonight he is treating himself to a lobster dinner. I think it might be hard to get Howard to come back and pick me up.
Today was busy with pickling green beans and making more applesauce. There's no exhaust fan in the kitchen and I think it must have been at least 100 degrees in there but it's nice to do that stuff again. It was a great walk down nostalgia road - reminding me when weekends in the summer were spent helping mom and dad pick fruit, can and freeze hundreds of pounds of fruit. (It's unfortunate there isn't an emoticon for sarcasm)
Kevin took the camera upload cable home so I can't share new photos. Just have to post some old ones. I'm going to bike over to a property near the Algonquin Hotel that's for sale for only $670,000 CDN. It was once owned by Lady Beaverbrook so it must absolutely be worth it :)
Better have waterfront for that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment