Ready to Travel

Ready to Travel

Friday, July 15, 2011

Say cheese, please

Today is Friday, our last day of our wwoofing assignment in Newfane. Here's a picture of the lovely family who hosted us David Hull, Apple Gifford and Lucy and Zinnia Hull (the girls)
We have been sharing the cabin with two other wwoofers, Jenn (from New Jersey/Maryland) and Jess from Missouri. They are lovely and considerably younger than us but we manage to keep pace. Kevin outmuscles everyone, needless to say. Being around these young ladies has given me one more reason to hate getting old. I was sitting on the necessary the other day and got to thinking about Fraggle Rock (don't ask....would take too long to explain) and I was going to mention the show to the girls. Then I thought, given their age would they know what I was talking about? Then I realized that, more and more frequently, I am prefacing my comments to younger people with "You are probably too young to know what I'm talking about".....and then I get miserable. Here's a picture of Jess and Jenn.
 Yesterday after work we drove to Grafton, a lovely village. There's a nice tavern there and several of the houses have been purchased by the Inn as rooms and suites. We stopped at the Grafton Cheese company and purchased some maple smoked cheddar and horseradish cheddar (I know, it's not Paleo but screw that) and some interesting ciders (raspberry, cherry, apple and peach). I look forward to enjoying that on Saturday in the hot tub in Brunswick. By the way, the house sleeps 10 so come for a visit. We're there for a week.
Anyhoo, back to Grafton. We wandered around the town, visited an open wood-working studio located in the old firehall. Watch guys in a cherry picker paint a church steeple (I know, things move slowly here) and then went into the public library 'cause they were having a book sale. Picked up a few things to read in the hammock in Maine.
Oh yes, more about growing old. I've noticed it takes more beer to recover from 5 hours in the field than it used to. Not necessarily a bad thing, though. And I see so many neat things I want to incorporate in my blog as we're working or driving around. By the time I get to town to connect to the net to write it down I've forgotten most of it. Menopausal Alzheimer's. It's just not fair.
More pics tomorrow when we get to Brunswick and hopefully Hi Speed really means high speed. 
Oh yes...and our housesitters have decided they don't really want to hang around once Kevin's home. There's so much of North America still to see (in their words) that it's a shame to have to stay around just to walk the dogs.
Ummmmmm, yeah.  So I've posted another ad. In the meantime, if anyone needs a place to crash for a month, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment